Bingham Blogged

Three months of rugby for three days of Bingham.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Friday Physical Week One

Luckily my firm has a small physicians office located on the 21st floor. Employees may take advantage of the facility for at work injuries or general health issues like weight-loss or help with stopping smoking. They helped Bryce quit and I couldn't be happier for him.

As I ease my way back into the rugby season, I've decided I'm going to use the office's resources to track my physical process along the way towards the Bingham Cup. Also the Nurst Practictioner is a really sweet lady who had me cracking up.


Let's get physical!

  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 220.5 lbs.
    Wow. I've certainly gained some weight. But I knew that. I can see it in the mirror.
  • Blood Pressure: 140/90
    The NP advised me this is an elevated reading. The American Heart Association says Americans should aim for 120/80 and 110/70 is perfect.
    Let's go to the AHA website and take their body fat quiz, shall we?

    I'M OBSESE!!!

    I actually guessed this fact. But having a website tell me is a bit disconcerning. Suggestion: "Lifestyle Changes." Let's see what else their quiz tells me...
    Stage I Hypertension! That's not good. What else...
    Hah. Ok now I get a disclaimer to calm my rapidly beating heart. (Makes me wonder how many people have died of heart attacks after reading they are Obese and Heart Attack Prone?)

    Disclaimers from AHA's Fat Slob Calculator:
    1) The predictions shown in this program are estimates. The risk results are shown as specific numbers. However, these results are not actual predictions. They are simply estimates to give you a general idea of your future risk. The numbers are averages from studies of large groups of people and may or may not apply specifically to you.
    2) Your actual risks may or may not be the same as the estimates shown. This program shows the estimated health risks of people your same age, gender and blood pressure.
    3) Every person is different. Your current health status, your medical history and the traits you inherited from your family make you unique.
    4) The results may not be accurate for you if you already have health problems from high blood pressure. This program provides estimates of your future risk of heart attack, stroke, heart failure and kidney disease. If you already have had one or more of these problems, the estimates may be inaccurate.
    5) This program is not meant to provide medical or other professional advice. Talk with your doctor or other healthcare professional for information specific to you and for advice in making decisions on managing your blood pressure and improving your health.

OK. Well I have no faith in the Fat Slob Calculator at this point. But what else can it tell me?

Apparently 31 is too young to determine if I'm likely to die of a stroke or heart failure or kidney disease. Whatever. How did this post spiral so out of control??? Whatelse... Ah good, suggestions for a healthier lifestyle:

1. Weight Loss
2. Daily Physical Activity
3. Healthy Diet
4. Limit Salt
5. Limit Alcohol

Rugby easily provides the first two, whereas the drink-ups completely negate the final three. My heart is so screwed. Moving on!

  • Pulse: 68 beats per minute and regular.
  • Breathing: Excellent lung capacity and strong.
  • Vision: Poor. My vision is one of my biggest handicaps in the sport. I'll definately have an entire post (or more) dedicated to this topic...

#1, Monday, February the 27th and #2, Wednesday, March 1st

Exhausting. Due to the wintery conditions here in New York, the first three or four weeks of the Spring season are held indoors, typically at a school gymnasium.

Gym floors are brutal, but both practice #1 and #2 showed me (better than any doctor's chart) just how out of shape I've gotten since the end of last season. That is saying alot considering the lack of focus and committment I had going into November and the Fall season's end.

I'm fat. I wish that were phat, alas my muffin top poking out of my jeans only punctuates just how not phat I am. I'm F. A. T.

Well... not that fat, I guess. Considering in high school I made it up to 263 on the doctor's scale. The irony is not lost on me that I never thought I was fat while I was actually fat. Of course back in 1993 at fat boy didn't have the same obese stigma that he might have today. Media and American culture is obsessed with fatness.

But more about rugby. I got a few jokes about the pudge peeking from under my sweaty t-shirt as the team ran back and forth across the greasy gym floor. I can handle jokes from my mates.

I have felt self-concious at work lately. My dress shirts feel constricting. My slacks are tighter. I'm looking forward to getting slimmed down again. My first season with the Gotham Knights (Sept 2004) I lost 30 pounds. Last Fall I only lost maybe 15 pounds.

With this more quantitative approach - perhaps I can create a realistic goal for myself. I am making up a process as I go along here, people. So, whatever.

Sore legs

Oh the sore legs. Tuesday I could barely walk up a flight of stairs. My quadriceps were so sore. Fatigued. Monday night I couldn't move them to cuddle with my boyfriend. These are the sacrifices I make for this team!

But, not surprisingly, Wednesday's practice was more intense (more running and sprinting) and my legs turned out less sore the morning after. Dramatically less so. Very good.

Harold suggested we pick two items from every practice to focus as weak areas on which we need to work. Mine are:

  • Lowering my stance and widening my base of support.
    In my position (Flanker) I do alot of tackling. Well, Coach Bob may joke that I'm SUPPOSED to do alot of tackling. I certainly try to tackle alot. To be a better tackler I need to get lower, closer to the ground. Strength from my quadriceps will support my body so I can squat lower and create a better base. This helps for several reasons:
    1) Easy movement left to right. If I'm up high I don't have the reaction mobility to adjust quickly to an opponent.
    2) I'm already low to the ground and will be more likely to tackle around the knees instead of the hips or waist.

  • Endurance.
    By the final repitition (six total) of thirty second sprints (offset by thirty seconds of muscular endurance excercises) I was huffing and puffing and could barely keep pace with my teammates. My muscular and cardiovascular endurance are key this season, espcially to the Bingham Cup. Unlike regular seasons, where at most there'd be one game on a Saturday, Bingham is three days of matches against several different teams.

    If I can't sprint for 180 seconds, I'm toast. Mmm... I love toast.

  • Self-Analysis Forms.
    Monday, we were also charged with rating our various rugby skills and then getting feedback from our coaches regarding our perceived (or actual) weaknesses and strengths. I'll be scanning and showing my sheet here after Saturday's practice.

Saturday, 8:00 a.m. No cuddling with my cozy, warm boyfriend. Instead it's an outdoor practice at Pier 40 in NYC! See you there.