Bingham Blogged

Three months of rugby for three days of Bingham.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

No "I" in Team

I ran into Healy and Doug and Turtle at the Eagle on Sunday. Yeah, I'm on the website too. Nice photo, eh? I love it when I get "crazy eyes".

At the Eagle there was much whooping and drinking and cheer. I spilled my beer all over myself - a common occurrence when I'm tipsy, be it rugby drink-up or just an early morning commute to work.

"Are we gonna see you (this season)?!", was asked more than a few times. And I blustered and thumped my chest and declared a resounding "Yes!"

Even as an inner dialogue tacked on, "…but I don't know if I really want to. I mean. This shit is a lot of work, yo."

Stupid little voices. And weirdly enough I'm confronted with whether I should identify teammates on this forum. I'd like to. Bingham/Rugby is a team endeavor. I love these guys dearly and want to celebrate their accomplishments. I'm constantly amazed at the dedication they put into their sport.

Maybe if I complain, I won't identify friends. No need for a derogatory blog affecting team morale. I think the tone of this tome will be very honest - sure a little catty? But nothing hurtful.

Rugby hurts enough without emotional jabs tossed in. So tonight is first practice, specifically indoor practice. We're meeting at a High School gym to do passing drills and running back and forth. Primarily stuff that you don't require space for and excercises that can be taught on the unforgiving hardness of a gymnasium floor. So no tackling.

I look forward to the tackling. But that's several weeks down the road. Oh yeah. And considering it is February in New York - it's a wee bit chilly to be out of doors.

Doing my work, I'm surprised how I keep cycling my thoughts back towards anticipation of tonight's practice. Why am I so nervous?